anybody seeing a drop in prices?

I have noticed that I have to drop my price a $1 or 2 to get sales on Ebay compared to a year ago. Which means if I import them here and drop the price again I can be taking a big hit on some cards. Anybody else noticing that? Are people just trying to get rid of cards? or is that the trend now? How are you guys doing ?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I tend to price $1-2 more than other sellers and still see strong sales. Yes, there are people who will sell cards are a cheap price but realistically they won't be netting much of anything from the sale. Most buyers know what is fair value for the card and are willing to pay it.
  • There has been a noticeable drop in most prices over the past couple of years in postcards, stamps, postal history, ephemera, antiquarian books, antique furniture, tchotchkes, antique automobiles, etc.

In most instances it has heavily affected the mid range material (people aren't paying $20 for $5 postcards anymore), as well as lots or project pieces. The demand for high end items in most fields has remained constant.

That is a very broad brush generalization with many exceptions but the general trend for most affordable collectibles is continuing.downward. The smart money believes that trend will continue.
  • I've been dropping my prices just to move inventory. I don't net much on some sales but I have more people buying multiple cards at a time.
  • I think if the Covid "crisis" continues it's going to pressure postcard dealers to either reduce prices to move inventory or sit tight and weather the storm. I say this, because virtually ALL of the perennial postcard shows have been cancelled...
  • If the postcard market is anything like the stamp market, the exact opposite is true. In stamps (where all the shows have been cancelled as well), the market hasn't been stronger in recent memory. Auction realizations are through the roof and my sales in stamps (here and on eBay) are taking up so much of my waking hours I barely have time to work on my own collections. Large lots in particular, presumably for resale, are being gobbled up as demand goes up and supply dwindles. This all makes sense when you consider that since the shows are gone, where are collectors to go? On line.
    Even my postcard sales here are on the up-tick, although I don't spend (have) enough time to pile on the listings and generally only float around a paltry 700 items.