International Sales

I was wondering what everyone is doing about International sales now that USPS changed the rules about First Class International mail? Now that they require that all "Merchandise" be shipped via USPS First Class Package, my shipping cost has gone from $2.50 to $9.50 per package.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tom - It would take hours to reproduce the thread about this subject that is on the HipStamps site, so I suggest you take a ride there to check it out. You'll find that Mark found us a Stamps.com site that is heavily discounted compared to the USPS fees for international mail, most being charged $4.99, with customs forms being electronically submitted as a mailing label is generated.
  • George, thank you for the heads up. That was a very interesting read. I already have Stamps.com so I will be using their services. It looks like I will need to install an updated version of their software to get it working. So it looks like international shipping will be about $5.00 instead of the $9.50, that should be doable. If that does not work, https://shippingeasy.com/ looks like another great options.

If anyone is interested in the full story, the link is here.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/forums/discussion/1555/so-what-is-hipstamp-to-do-about-new-usps-rates
    Thanks again George,
    Tom
  • Tom,

Please note how you will need to package them to qualify as flats.

Per USPS

2.0 Physical Standards for Flats
    2.1 General Definition of Flat-Size Mail
    Flat-size mail is:

More than 11-1/2 inches long, or more than 6-1/8 inches high, or more than 1/4 inch thick, except as allowed for EDDM-Retail flats under 140. For general retail mailability, all pieces 1/4 inch thick or less must be a minimum of 5 inches long and 3-1/2 inches high and 0.007 inch thick.
    Not more than 15 inches long, or more than 12 inches high, or more than 3/4 inch thick.
    Flexible (see 2.3).
    Rectangular with four square corners or with finished corners that do not exceed a radius of 0.125 inch (1/8 inch). See Exhibit 201.1.1.1.
    Uniformly thick (see 2.4).
    Unwrapped, sleeved, wrapped, or enveloped.
    2.2 Length and Height of Flats
    The length of a flat-size mailpiece is the longest dimension. The height is the dimension perpendicular to the length.

2.3 Minimum Flexibility Criteria for Flat-Size Pieces
    Flat-size pieces must be flexible. Boxes—with or without hinges, gaps, or breaks that allow the piece to bend—are not flats. Tight envelopes or wrappers that are filled with one or more boxes are not flats. At the customer‘s option, a customer may perform the following test on their own mailpieces. When a postal employee observes a customer demonstrating that a flat-size piece is flexible according to these standards, the employee does not need to perform the test. Test flats as defined in 201.4.3.

2.4 Uniform Thickness
    Flat-size mailpieces must be uniformly thick so that any bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities do not cause more than 1/4-inch variance in thickness. When determining variance in thickness, exclude the outside edges of a mailpiece (1 inch from each edge) when the contents do not extend into those edges. Also, exclude the selvage of any polywrap covering (see 201.5.3 from this determination. Mailers must secure nonpaper contents to prevent shifting of more than 2 inches within the mailpiece if shifting would cause the piece to be nonuniform in thickness or would result in the contents bursting out of the mailpiece (see 601.3.3).

2.5 Flat-Size Pieces Not Eligible for Flat-Size Pricing
    Flat-size mailpieces that do not meet the standards in 2.1 through 2.4 are not eligible for flat-size pricing and must pay applicable parcel prices.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1002686
  • Thank you.