Seller Question: To Date or not to Date?

And no, I am not talking about going o n a date, lol.....

I am contemplating hiring a part time helper to enter postcards into a spreadsheet, but dreading the inevitable issue of accuracy. No employee EVER will be as caring and focussed as me.

Of course I can teach the obvious, copyrights, postmarks, linen era, white border era, zip coders after 1963 etc. But there is still a good # of PCs that are hard to date. I estimated cards from the 10s-20s turns out they were from the 40s.

I noticed a lot of sellers don't date cards at all.
What is the general consensus? I want to build a large inventory and be as accurate and detailled as possible. But not trying to go overboard.

TIA
Martin

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    I'm not sure that date is that important - I put it in the title if known or if it's an early Private Mailing Card but I think most people can see by looking if it's UB, DB, WB, linen, chrome or real photo. You're showing both sides of the card. People generally search by location or topic and then look at the pictures. They seldom read the full title and hardly ever read the carefully written description.

Watch people flip through a box of cards at a show (and note that stamp collectors are flipping through the backs of the cards!), Postcards are usually sold on visual appeal. I'm a sucker for night scenes for some reason
    Just my thoughts - hope that others chime in one way or the other.
  • edited January 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Carol
    Thanks. That does make sense. And I agree, despite the need for categories 98% or so off stuff sells by keyword search. THAT can be taught to a lister. Just make sure no typos and get as many RELEVANT keywords in there as well.
    I also sell ephemera and there year is more important as many people collect 'years' or are looking for a gift for someone's B'day anniversary what not.
    I guess it is time to find someone to do some data entry.