How to evaluate a fair price for a PC collection to purchase?

I know this is a tough one. As it always depends on quality and value...

But asking anyway:
What is a fair price to offer for an average PC collection?

Let's assume there is nothing overly exciting among it other than a few possible sleepers.
1940s on up?

I saw a collection a couple years ago at an estate sale. Seemed mostly `1920s to 1950s.
All in slide in album pages.

Probably about 4-5,000 cards.

Albums were priced each at about 50 cent a card I believe. It was end of sale and everything was half off. So a quarter each.
Knowing the estate sale organizer I could have prob gotten another 50% off, if I'd taken them all.

Unfortunately i did not make an offer, as I was pretty cash strapped then.

But I would have possibly gotten the cards at 12-15 cents each in bulk.

Seems a fair price ?!
What about something a bit newer. Say tons of city views etc, mostly used post WW2 to the 70s?

Is there a rough average price one should pay for unsorted not exactly spectacular collections?

I am thinking 10 cents a piece or what do you guys think?

TIA
Martin

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I go for about 10 cents I know that I can get rid of any at that price I have to think about 25 each But I did buy about 1400 for 1.00 to 2.00 this summer but they were almost all RPPCs of cowgirls and girl teams from c1910s-1920 Also several crossdressing girls
  • Thanks Debbie, that is exactly my thinking. Common stuff 10-20 cents just to stay busy and keep addiong inventory and then be ready to drop a tad more for better stuff.
    I went to a local antique store and I knew they charge between 1-3 for their common stuff. TYhey know me and what I am up to so they are not gonna let me have stuff for dirt cheap but give me deals. I handpicked 32 cards and an old magazine for ads and they charged me $35 total.
    Sold one card right away for $17 which was kinda dumb, I fiogured it might be worth more. But heck got almost half my $$ back. And those were all handpicked cards including one or two for personal collection,