Description Formatting

Looking at the new listings on the site, it appears a lot of them haven't imported too well. I assume this is because their HTML has been stripped out. The only formatting I can detect is 'bold' and 'newline'.

So, what HTML (or other type of formatting) can be used in a card's description? I'd be happy enough with [b], [i] and [br], but perhaps others may require more.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Now that I've synced the 4 postcards I have in bidStart, I see the formatting varies for each card (when looked at in Details). Some labels (such as 'Condition:') have been turned into uppercase in some listings, but not in others. It's as if the formatting rules of the syncing software was being tweaked on a card-by-card case, which possibly was the case.

Anyway, this is just a 'for your information' post. Other stores with serious numbers of cards in them have much more messy listings - they're the ones in need of tidying up. I don't envy Mark the work required to do that.

And I see that as I've been writing this, bidStart.com is now no more - you're directed to HipPostcards now. (Or HipWhatever, I assume.) RIP bidStart!
  • I think the "brief summary of the description" should include any line breaks, as they're horrible to read as is. Perhaps restrict them to 8 to 10 lines of text before the "Read More..."?
  • Brent,

The last time I checked Ebay does give you the percentage of your items that you have sold by mobile device. The last time I checked it was over 25% of my sales were by mobile devices. If the sites aren't being set up for viewing on mobile devices where are those sales going?

Michael

• My nice neat bidstart descriptions are now a crammed up mess, all crammed into one paragraph.
  • The Listing Summary page will show you the title of the listing, price, and a brief summary of the description (in one line of text). If you want to view the full description click on the "Details" tab. All of your descriptions look fine there. In general, we also display a "Read More..." link on the summary page, but in your case since your description is not that long, it doesn't appear.
  • You should take a look at your listings on mobile devices. The listing summary here on HP is presumably in part to conform with viewing on mobiles. Some sellers should think about eliminating all the boilerplate that they throw into descriptions. On a mobile, when landing on HP listings it's easy to see & use the details tab to see the full description. Delcampe uses a summary. eBay provides item specifics before you can get further down to descriptions. The technology - and its constraints - are driving many of theses changes. I think viewers will very quickly get used to hitting "Read More" or the Details tab. I know I have, especially on my phone.
  • Also necessary in order to attract younger buyers since the percentage using mobile devices to purchase is even higher than that average of, say, 25 %. My eBay % for mobile is similar at about 25%.
  • Well actually I already know a fair number of people in my age bracket buying by mobile devices. (I'm 58 so there are many that are "seniors" using the mobile devices to buy)
  • Not in disagreement. Just indicating that the percentage increases in the younger age groups. As they age & as we all, regardless of age group, get more comfortable buying & selling on mobiles, the need for mobile-friendly listings intensifies. Not fighting a rearguard action against mobiles here! lol
  • Of course with the younger ones it's going to a lot more. It's just I have heard so much that the older people won't use them to buy on (Yeah right) Now if you're talking about my mom's age group it's less likely they will but then she's 83. Although for me I don't me having a mobile device to get online myself. But that is not because I wouldn't use it,I would use it way to much. LOL

I do need to take a break away from the computer so for now I will just keep and use the hard wired PC. And I only have have a very basic cell phone. (Calls and text messages are all I can use it for)
  • I use my smart phone to act as an image screen when picking cards out of my inventory. Even though the vast majority are numbered, images are often easier to detect first then check the number & then against the online listing. Also, for completely different & new products with a UPC I use the phone as a bar code scanner & image recognition device (Amazon's Flow software in its Amazon shopping app), So, lots of uses for business, especially small ones that before would've had to spend a lot more on IT.